Monday, January 28, 2013

Full Kyoryuger OP and ED: TV Size

Someone at the Tokyo Dome event this past weekend was able to get an audio recorder into the event and got recordings of both the OP and ED songs. The opening is very clearly a Psychic Lover song, so if you enjoyed Boukenger, you are no doubt going to find something to like here. Also, does anyone else get a strong "Come On and Dance" by the Steve Miller Band vibe at the beginning of VAMOLA! Kyoryuger?


Something about the ending song, Minna Atsumare! reminds me a lot of the beginning to Mony Mony by Billy Idol, but the rest of it is original and fantastic.


I have to say, I'm really enjoying the music for the show this year. I have a good feeling about this year's series. But not everyone is convinced. Some people on 2ch commented that the opener sounds too much like an anime song, and another complained, "Psychic Lover again?" -- are people really tired of it, or is it just cool to hate things on the Internet?

By the way, the phrase "vamo lá" means "Let's go!" in Brazilian Portuguese. Brazil allegedly has the largest Japanese descended population outside of Japan itself, so many have wondered if the South American and Brazilian influences are a way for Bandai and Toei to reach out to the Brazilian market. Historically, Brazil has received a number of Super Sentai and Kamen Rider series even in the 80s before Saban turned Super Sentai into the Power Rangers. Changeman and Flashman were incredibly popular there, as was Kamen Rider Black.

One poster on 4chan wrote, "I'm Brazillian, and you guys can not imagine my happiness when hearing "vamo lá" in Brazilian Portuguese on a Sentai opening theme."

Here's hoping for a great year!

2 comments:

  1. I was searching the web because although the voices are quite identical, it´s not Psychic Lover who sings the opening Kyoyuger song. It is Kamata Shogo who does. I found this info on his official twitter profile. Let´s hope for Kyoryuger to be a great sentai. I'm brazilian and I was really honored that my country was mentioned on a japanese program. I'm 30 now, and I watch tokusatsus and animes since I was 6. Great website.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Raphael,
      Thanks very much for your comments, and for correcting the name of the musician for Kyoryuger's theme song! Over the past few days, I have heard many people from Brazil making very positive comments about Kyoryuger's usage of Portuguese and inclusion of the samba, and many of them say they have been watching Japanese shows since the 1980s. I think it's great that Japan is reaching out to their Brazilian audience.

      The show starts this weekend! It won't be long now!

      Delete